|What is pilates|
The original exercises were devised by a German named Joseph Pilates. He was born in 1880, a sickly child, and dedicated his whole life to achieving physical perfection. He was so fit by the age of 14 that he worked as a model for anatomical charts. Joseph Pilates moved to England in
1912 where he worked as a boxer, circus performer and self-defence trainer.
When the war broke out, he was interned into a prisoner of war camp where he trained the other prisoners in physical fitness. During an influenza outbreak which killed thousands, none of his fellow inmates succumbed. This event gained him much recognition.
In later years he moved to New York and set up a studio which trained mainly dancers, athletes and actors. He was still teaching until his death in 1967, at the age of 87.His original students have carried on his work to this day and, although many versions of the technique have been
developed, the principles remain the same.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
Pilates is an exercise experience which brings together the mind and body to create mental and physical awareness."The Pilates Method of body conditioning develops the body uniformly, corrects posture, restores vitality, invigorates the mind and elevates the spirit."Joseph Pilates
Pilates can help to:
• Re-shape your body making it longer, leaner and more toned
• Increase flexibility and muscle strength
• Improve posture and abdominal control
• Improve balance, coordination and alignment
• Make you feel mentally and physically rejuvenated relieving stress and tension
• Reduce back, joint and muscular pain
• Correct muscle imbalances
• Correct breathing techniques
• Prevent and rehabilitate injury
• Improve and compliment performance in sports (golf, rugby, dance, tennis, etc)
• Eliminate bad postural habits
• Improve body awareness
• Reduce tension in the body
• More efficient circulatory system
• Flatter stomach and trimmer waist through the creation of a natural girdle of strength